Appery.io is a cloud platform that makes it fast and simple to build hybrid and mobile web apps that are connected to APIs.
You can build hybrid mobile web apps for iOS and Android, which run directly in the browser via our visual App Builder.
Every app talks to a server or backed and Appery.io provides a complete backend for your app:
- Database - for storing app data.
- API Express - exposing enterprise data sources such as an SQL database or SOAP service via REST APIs. Also, build advanced services with a visual service editor.
- Push Notifications - send Push Notifications to your users.
With the Appery.io Tester app you can quickly test your hybrid app without installing it on the device.
When you sign into the Appery.io platform you will see the following seven main pages (tabs):
- Server Code
- API Express
The following sections will give you an overview of each component, then you can jump in and learn more about each component in detail.
The Apps page is where you create your app (client), and where you will see a list of all your apps. The app is what gets published to an app store, and is built inside the visual App Builder. When you create a new app or edit an existing app you will launch the App Builder to work on the app.
Today the Appery.io App Builder supports creating apps with the following UI technologies (click on each technology to go to the page to learn how to use the App Builder. Each section has sub-sections with tutorials and more information):
In addition to the components framework above, every app also comes with already installed Apache Cordova. This means you can build a hybrid app for iOS and Android, and also invoke any Cordova native APIs such as the camera or contacts.
You can also export the app as a mobile web app, which is accessed via a browser URL.
The app technology stack is this:
- UI framework (jQuery Mobile or Ionic+AngularJS or Bootstrap+AngularJS).
- Apache Cordova.
You can also send Push Notifications to your users as well as targeted Push Notifications.
The Appery.io Platform provides a cloud database to store any app data. The database is a NoSQL database in the cloud; you connect to the database from the app via simple REST API. You can use the database to store anything your app requires, for example:
- Binary data (images)
- And anything else...
To learn more about the database and how to connect and use it in the app click on the link.
The Server Code allows you to write any app logic. For example, in the script you can:
- Perform calculations.
- Connect to the Appery.io Database to retrieve, update, or create data.
- Send Push Notification messages.
- Invoke any 3rd party REST API.
- And anything else you might need...
A script can be scheduled to run periodically, this is called a Job. For example, you can schedule a script to run every 24 hours to check the database for inventory levels.
Learn more about Server Code here.
With API Express you can connect to external data sources and expose them via REST APIs be used in an app. API Express also provides a visual service editor, which allows you build advanced services with various enterprise data sources.
With API Express you can quickly connect to an SQL database and expose it via a REST APIs.
For more advanced services, the API Express visual service builder allows you to create an advanced service flow. The visual service builder provides the following components:
The visual service builder has the following components to build service logic:
- SQL component – for executing any SQL query or stored procedure.
- REST component – for connecting to any external REST API.
- SOAP component – for connecting to a SOAP web service.
- FORK component – for creating two or more execution forks.
- Condition – for adding the if-else-like condition.
- Mapping – for mapping data from one component to another.
- Server Code – for invoking an Appery.io Server Code script.
API Express also makes it easy to build offline apps. With this support, you can disconnect from the internet, and continue using the app. When the app is reconnected all changes will be automatically synced.
Any part of an app (client) you build can be exported as a plugin. A plugin can then be imported into any other app. This allows you to create re-usable app components. For example, you can create an app with one page and one service which sends an email. You can export it as a plugin and then add this functionality (one page, one service) into another app.
A plugin can also be an app template that you will see when creating a new app. Learn more about plugins, and how to use them.
In the Resources page you will find the following resources for your development:
- Certificates - for publishing the app to an app store.
- Webhooks - for integration with 3rd party systems.
- Cordova plugins - out-of-the-box and custom Apache Cordova plugins
- Security - security providers used by API Express services.
The Account page is where you can:
- Edit your profile information.
- Edit your subscription.
- Edit your billing information.
- Build a team to work on the app together.
- View invoices.
- Purchase paid support packs.
- Setup login into Appery.io platform with a social network.
You are currently using our new and most up to date documentation site. Below is information about our old Dev Center.
- The old Dev Center link (http://devcenter.appery.io) will redirect to this new site.
- Any direct link to a page on the old site will redirect you to the new site home page (not the actual page).
- If you are looking for the old site, you can view it here. Note that the old site will no longer be updated and the most up to date information are now here.