Appery.io enables you to import Cordova plugins for use in apps without the need of configuring additional source files.
Custom Cordova plugins are supported in the following app library versions:
- jQuery Mobile library version 4.1 or higher.
- Ionic/Bootstrap/AngularJS version 1.1 or higher.
Before you update to a new library version it's important that you create an app version so you can go back to it in case something doesn't work.
Latest Plugin Version
We recommend always to download the latest plugin version.
Custom Plugin Permissions
A custom Cordova plugin permission can be managed by selecting the Permissions tab when viewing plugin details.
Testing an App with Custom Plugin
To test the app, you must build the binary and launch the app on your device. Testing using the Appery.io Tester app won't work as the plugin is not available inside the Tester app.
Some Cordova plugins require initialization parameters to work properly. The phonegap-facebook-plug-in, for example, requires APP_ID and APP_NAME variables to be specified.
Go to App settings > Cordova plugins and click the Options button next to the plugin. A modal window opens, where the necessary options can be added and specified. Click Save options.
Custom Cordova plugin parameters.
Option Button Color
The Options buttons will change to dark blue when at least one parameter is set.
When working with plugin parameters:
- You can add any number of key/value pairs to any Cordova plugin (core or custom).
- Key/values options can be changed/deleted any time.
- Options for unselected plugins can be managed as well.
- Keys should be unique to one plug-in (subject to validation).
- For parameter names, the following symbols are allowed: all digits, letters, and an underscore or minus sign (subject to validation).
- Empty keys/values are not allowed.
- Parameter names are validated for duplication.
Now, you’ll learn how to use a custom Cordova plugin on the example of the Facebook Cordova plugin.
- Go to the plugin page and click Download ZIP to download the plugin.
Latest Plugin Version
We recommend always to get the latest plugin version.
- From the platform main dashboard (not in the App Builder), go to Resources > Cordova Plugins.
- Click Import Cordova plugin.
- Click Choose file and upload the plugin file you downloaded.
- Click Import plugin. The plugin will appear under Cordova plugins.
The plugin you just uploaded is available to any app. Before you can use it in an app you need to add it to a particular app.
- Inside an app, go to Project > App settings > Cordova plugins > Imported Cordova plugins.
- To enable the plugin for the current app, check the box for the plugin.
That's all the configuration you need to do for this plugin.
Check here for instructions on how to to import and configure the Toast Cordova plugin in an Appery.io app.
Blog post on how to add a Polish survey into your app: Appery.io + Pollfish: How to Integrate a Pollfish Survey into Your App.
The sample app demonstrating how to add secure Bitcoin payments to your Appery.io mobile app with the BitPay Cordova SDK can be found here.
There are several important issues when using Cordova plugins:
- Uploading files larger than 40 Mb is not allowed.
- Before uploading plugin .zip archive make sure it contains only plugin code (without any other files).
- Plug-ins do not work for the Appery.io Tester.
- Cordova and Cordova plug-ins can’t be updated with the Autoupdate feature.
- When creating an app from the backup, re-adding custom plug-ins to the backup application is required as they are lost while building a backup.
- Cordova plugins are not included under the Source tab in Project view.
Here is a great resource to help you learn Cordova basics:
Our support team is not able to provide help or debug assistance with 3rd party custom Cordova plugins. There are many reasons why a custom plugin might not work:
- Incorrect configuration.
- Incorrect version support.
- Bugs in the plugin.
Our support team is just not familiar with all of the plugins out there.
Our Advisory Pack and Flex Pack support services do include help with custom Cordova plugins. Please consider purchasing one of the packs if you need help with a custom Cordova plugin.